Anyway, this prompted me to go back into my journals from when I was 16 and look for evidence of my smothered, despotized and brilliant self - the tragic youth, with so much suppressed potential. It was a pretty good mix, overall, of heavy angst and naivete. A few long and interesting rants, intermixed with me practicing my signature switching my last name for the names of boys I liked. Lux had the habit of writing her crushes names on her underwear - apparently I wrote them on my leg.
I pulled out, for your entertainment, a love poem written by 16 year old me. Hopefully she'll forgive me for violating her privacy like this. I know, at least, that she'll eventually get over it, since I'm fine now.
Yes it's true that I've put you on a pedestal, dear
But isn't that where you belong?
Out of human range
The unnamed figure that would inspire song?
We don't have a contract, you and I
But that's not how I wanted it anyway
My distance is ensured
By your low s.... [the last word is just a squiggle]
I reflect
Can you see me from behind your eyes
I'm here and you're the closest I've ever been to myself
I'm quiet and ill-communicated
So please listen now
You're a constant in my dreams
And I think you've always been there
I've been trying to tell you
What I struggle to sort into words
Even now it won't be clear
You reflect me so I can see how I want to be that is I think I am I am losing words that I've never had and my voice is hoarse because I want to say every thought I can't remember and every explanation that made sense and I've misplaced all this by losing time and time again to my own memory and doubt and everything that ultimately doesn't matter because I love you
Hot shit. I'll do more exposes whenever I don't have interesting updates.
laura this website is too good and your poetry is still beyond anything i could write at age 21 i just remembered i had made a blog at the library last year and i signed in so here i am
ReplyDeleteits your future stripper by the way
ReplyDelete(alia)
ReplyDelete